What is M.Sc. Botany?
The study of advanced plant life is what to which M.Sc. in Botany is concerned. Botany is one branch of Biology. M.Sc. Botany is 2 years of a full-time postgraduate course. This course involves the metabolism, evolution, reproduction, structure, development, and relation of the plant kingdom with the environment. Candidates pursuing M.Sc. Botany can also have a chance to study the identification of plants that are poisonous to use and their medicinal properties. The variety of plant features and their species are included in the course structure.
A student of M.Sc. Botany usually studies plant life from numerous perspectives like genetic, chemical, and biological. To get an in-depth understanding and functionalities of the plants, the students analyze the tissues, cells, and various parts of plants. The plant kingdom is the most important part of nature and helps provide oxygen, food, medicine, etc., human life. Therefore, these are more important to maintain the balance of nature. Those students who have completed their undergraduate course by studying botany and are interested in studying the advanced course can opt for the M.Sc. Botany course in their post-graduation.
Scope for M.Sc. Botany
This course provides career options in various fields, so it does have huge scope in the future. The majority of the problems which the world is facing today are related to the field of Botany. These may include climate change, desertification, forests, etc., which could be solved with the knowledge of Botany. For this purpose, majority of the nations are moving towards botany to these problems which in turn increases the job opportunities for the candidates of M.Sc. Botany. One can even opt for further studies after completion of M.Sc. Botany which is referred to as follows:
- Ph.D. Botany: It is a three-year doctoral degree which involves the study of plants related to their survival. The eligibility criteria for this course are to have at least 55% marks in a master's degree.
- M.Phil. Botany: It is two years of pre-doctoral degree in Botany. The eligibility criteria for this course are to have a master’s degree in Botany with 50% aggregate marks.
Eligibility Criteria for students to get admission in M.Sc. Botany
- The candidate who has pursued a bachelor's degree in biology/botany are eligible for a recognized institute.
- The minimum percentage criteria are at least 45% for most of the institutes.
There are a lot of entrance exams held every year to get admission in this course. The eligibility criteria for form fill up varies college to college.
Admission process for students to get admission in M.Sc. Botany
- Based on students' performance at the graduation level, many colleges in India provide admissions to M.Sc. Botany.
- Certain reputed and top colleges in India conduct M.Sc. entrance examinations to provide admission for the M.Sc. degree program.
- Before applying for any institute, the candidate must confirm the admission process and then ensure the guidelines are followed before completing the admission process.
Job Prospects and Career Options after completing the M.Sc. Botany
Following are some of the job roles for which a candidate has a degree of M.Sc. Botany can apply for:
- Data Analyst
- Medical Coder
- Plant Conversationalist
- Incident Manager
- Botany Professor
- Corporate Communications Manager
So, if you are planning to pursue your course in Botany after graduation than this course is the best approach. After researching all of the content regarding the same, come up with the idea that job profiles and opportunities in this course is very good. As well as the payment is very decent. It will be a great option to pursue your education without thinking twice.