What is M.Sc. Microbiology?
Microbiology is a study of microorganisms like bacteria, algae, viruses, fungus etc. it an interesting study. This study mainly circles unicellular, multicellular and acellular microorganisms. As microorganisms are much older than us, they were among the first living creatures on planet earth. They are far more complicated than we know, and they will outlive most of the living organisms on this planet. However, they can survive extreme conditions, and some even live-in space due to these reasons; research in this field is very important. This study plays a major role in medicinal technology as the research in this field is extremely valuable for making various vaccines and cures for multiple bacterial and viral infections. Research in this domain also helps us understand the behavior and process of any new strains of a certain virus. Research is also done in the food industry and how to preserve food for a longer duration of time. The fundamental research on physiology, ecology, cell biology is included in this course.
Microbiology has mainly five branches: bacteriology, which studies bacteria; immunology, the study of immune study; mycology, the study of various Fungai; nematology, the study of roundworms; parasitology, the study of the bacterial parasite, virology, the study of viruses. If you want to know more about the eligibility criteria, entrance examination and future scope than you are at the right place.
Eligibility Criteria for M.Sc. in Microbiology
- Students must have a bachelor's degree having 55% or more in B.Sc. Botany, B.Sc. Zoology, B.Sc. Chemistry, B.Sc. Microbiology, B.Sc. Physiology from a Recognized organization/university.
- There are no age criteria for this course. Therefore, one can do this post-graduation course after graduation or at a later time.
Admission and fee Structure of M.Sc. Microbiology
- Admissions are mostly entrance exam based or merit based on B.Sc. Score.
- Cutoff differs from college to college. For example, some colleges may select students having good scores and then take their interviews.
- Fees vary from college to college, ranging from around Thirty thousand to 1 lakh Rupees.
There are a lot of examinations are held by different universities to get admission to this course. You can fill up the entrance examination form to take part in the examination. The criteria for exam vary college to college.
Employment areas after M.Sc. Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Industries (Dr ready’s Sun Pharma, Nova Nordisk, AstraZeneca)
- Biotechnology Companies (Biocon, Novozymes)
- Contract Research Organization (ICON, PPD)
- Universities (Punjab University, Osmania University)
- Laboratories (Sami Labs, Sigma)
- Private Hospitals (Global Hospitals, Apollo Hospitals)
- Research Organizations (NARI, NCL PUNE, IIT DELHI)
- Environmental Agencies (Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, Chilika Development Authority, Central Pollution Control Board)
- Food Industry (Amul, Café Coffee day, Mars Incorporated)
- Chemical Industry (Pidilite Industries Ltd, Tata Chemicals Ltd)
- Agriculture Department (National Agro-Industry, PI Industries)
Job Prospects and carrier opportunities in M.Sc. Microbiology
- Teacher (Science and Biology)
- Food Technologies
- Quality Control
- Scientific writer
- Patent Lawyer
- Clinical Microbiologists
- Environmental Microbiologists
- Industrial Microbiologists
Salary package for M.Sc. Microbiology Students
Microbiology has a very attractive salary package though it depends upon the experience of the person. A person having no prior experience can get 3 lakhs per annum, while a person having 5-6 years of experience can get a package up to 10 lakhs per annum. If a person gets a senior microbiologist post, then salary expectance is up to 20 LPA.
So, if you are planning to pursue your course in Microbiology after graduation than this course is the best approach. After researching all of the content regarding the same, come up with the idea that job profiles and opportunities in this course is very good. As well as the payment is very decent. It will be a great option to pursue your education without thinking twice.