(1)About BHU RET
The Banaras Hindu University (BHU) will soon hold the Banaras Hindu University Research Entrance Test (BHU-RET), which is a paper-and-pencil-based research entrance exam for students who wish to enroll in a PhD program.
BHU RET important Tentative Dates:
The followng are the impotant dates for BHU RET exam’s
|Starting date to fill application process||2nd week of August 2023|
|Last date to fill application form||Last week of August 2023|
|Release of admit card||4th week of September 2023|
|Examination date||Last week of September 2023|
|Declaration of results||2nd week of November 2023|
|Beginning of counseling||To be notified|
1. Application Form for January 2023
must be completed online on the BHU website.
2. Candidates in the RET Exempted category who previously applied pursuant to the RET 2022 (July 2022 term) notification need not reapply.
3. Before filling out the application, carefully read the brochure with information.
How do I apply for PhD admission
in January 2023 at BHU?
Follow the steps below to submit an application for BHU Varanasi PhD Admission in January 2023.
1. All applicants who have submitted their applications in a timely manner are required to attend Test B Counseling on December 19, 2022, at 10 a.m. in the Center's Office of the Responsible HoD or Coordinator.
2. There will not be a separate call letter issued for this purpose.
3. A candidate will only be accepted into a research field if he or she meets all of the eligibility requirements and completes all of the formalities required for admission.
4. Subject to the availability of seats in the course, admissions in the RET Exempted category will be strictly based on merit, in accordance with the guidelines outlined in this Information Bulletin and any university-issued guidelines.
BHU RET exam will have two parts which can see below
A: Test A will be based on Subject
Knowledge, Logical and Analytical Capability and Research Methodology.
Test B: Test B will cover Personal Interview to test aptitude for research.
TEST – A is aimed as to assess the subject knowledge of the students at the Master’s level in the concerned subject and related area. It will also conclude the questions on research methodology. Tests A will be held in one sitting in the Test Centres of RET.
40% questions related to
methodology will cover the following aspects : Foundation of Research, Problem
identification and formulation, Research design, Qualitative and Quantitative
Research, Measurement, Sampling, Data Analysis, Interpretation of Data, Use of
Encyclopedias and tools, Paper Writing etc. Other 60% questions would be of
Master’s level of the subject and areas concerned.
|Type of Questions||MCQ type questions|
|Number of Questions||100|
|The Duration of the exam||120 minutes|
|Maximum Marks||300 marks.|
|Marking Scheme||03 (three) marks for correct answer and 01 (one) mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.|
1. Test – B will cover Research
proposal and Personal Interview.
2. Candidate, approximately four times of the seats, based on merit, may be called for Test B.
3. All eligible RET-exempt category candidates shall also take TEST-B of the selection process.
4. The Test – B will be conducted in the concerned department/school/centre by a Board to be appointed for the purpose and will carry a total of 30 (thirty) marks for personal interview. The marks to be awarded to the candidates in the Personal Interview may not be below 9 and above 24. In case a candidate is awarded marks below 9 and above 24, detailed justifications may be noted by the interview committee in its proceedings against each such candidate
5. The Interview Board will ask questions relating to the area in which the candidate expects to undertake research, if selected, to test his/her competence for research in the discipline.
6. A candidate applying in more than one discipline, will appear at Test B separately in each of the disciplines for which he/she has applied and shortlisted.
(7) BHU Varanasi Faculty offering PhD Program
In BHU Varanasi Faculty offering PhD Program for the aspirants –
Faculties of Science
Faculties of Arts
Faculties of Social Sciences
Faculty of Performing Arts
Sanskrit Vidya Dharm Vigyan Sankay
Faculty of Commerce
Faculty of Management Studies
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Dental Sciences
Faculty of Visual Arts
Faculty of Environment
& Sustainable Development
1. All students who submit their applications on time will receive hall tickets.
2. Only the official BHU website can be used to download the hall ticket.
3. The admit card will indicate the location of the exam center where students must show up for the exam.
1. The score card for BHU RET 2023 Test A is expected to be received in November 2023. The university's website will post the results
2. A list of qualified candidates will be compiled based on the students' scores.
3. The merit list will serve as the basis for student counseling.
counseling procedure will involve following steps:
1. Attendance of candidates present
2. Verification of academic records of the candidates present.
3. Conduction of Test – B of the candidates present.
4. Thereafter the Test B will be conducted in the concerned department/school/centre by the Department which carries a total of 30 marks for personal interview.
5. The Interview Board will ask questions relating to the area in which the candidate expects to undertake research, if selected, to test his/her scholastic competence for research in the discipline.
6. A candidate applying in more than one discipline will appear at Test B separately in each of the disciplines in which he/she has applied and qualified. The dates for Test B may be suitably adjusted/staggered in different disciplines.
7. FINAL MERIT ORDER AFTER TEST-B.